The Advertising Specialty Institute® (ASI) of Trevose, PA, announced ASI magazines won two national Folio: awards for editorial and design excellence, along with seven honorable mentions. In addition, Wearables® Editor-in-Chief Nicole Rollender was named to the 2016 Folio: 100 list, a prestigious national honor that recognizes the top magazine media innovators, entrepreneurs and disrupters within the publishing industry.
Rollender was honored during a recent Folio: awards ceremony in New York City, along with leaders from media companies such as Politico, Teen Vogue, The New Yorker and GQ.
Glen Karpowich, ASI’s senior editorial designer, won a 2016 Folio: for designing Counselor® magazine’s “Pen Appreciation” feature showing the importance of pens to daily lives, and SGR freelance writer Patrick Gleeson won for writing SGR magazine’s “On Shaky Ground: How China’s Tumultuous Economy is Affecting the Industry.”
In total, over 250 Folio: awards were narrowed down from 2,800 entries and awarded across 33 categories. ASI magazines were also awarded with seven honorable mentions in the 2016 Folio: Eddie & Ozzie Awards, which recognize excellence in magazine editorial and design across all sectors of the media industry.
Below are ASI’s honorable mentions:
Editorial Eddie awards
- C.J. Mittica, for the Counselor magazine cover story, “The Election Connection,” about the key role promotional products play in campaigns.
- Staff, for Counselor magazine May 2016 issue, “The Promotional Campaign Trail.”
- C.J. Mittica, for “Dream Shop” in Wearables magazine, on constructing the ultimate small- and medium-sized screen-printing shops.
- Staff, for Advantages magazine January 2016 issue, “Sales Boost,” with stories written by Christopher Ruvo.
- Christopher Ruvo, for “Ultimate Guide to the Stylish Salesperson’s Wardrobe” in Advantages magazine.
- Sara Lavenduski, for the “Supplier Survivor” series of articles in SGR magazine, a year-long project that followed the ups and downs of three suppliers newly listed with ASI and provided tailored advice for each company from a business expert.
Design Ozzie award
- Glen Karpowich, for the “Wearable Technology” typography in Counselor magazine.
“Everyone in our editorial department should be proud of the work they do on behalf of our readers and I’m delighted Folio: has recognized their creative efforts,” said Andy Cohen, ASI’s vice president of editorial and marketing services. “Our entire department has responded in full force to a rapidly changing media marketplace while continuing to deliver quality journalism along with new ways for readers to connect with each other on social media.”
ASI publications deliver award-winning editorial content to suppliers, distributors, decorators and screen printers throughout the $22 billion advertising specialty industry. In the past decade, ASI magazines have been honored with over 180 journalism awards and remain the only industry publications to ever win a national Jesse H. Neal Award. Michele Bell is SGR editor and executive director of editorial and marketing services operations. MORE INFO