by Santa John McDaniel
The View from the Bridge is an opinion piece that explores how societal changes can/will impact the future, especially as these changes apply to the Graphic-Products industry and small businesses in general.
Have You Heard?
On the COVID-pandemic front, the virus is not going down without a fight. It doesn’t care if you’re rich, poor, urban, suburban, age, etc. It seems the only thing it cares about, on its way toward World Domination, is if its intended host is vaccinated or not. Not vaccinated, this host is going down. Vaccinated, the virus will tag along until it finds a more suitable host.
As we’ve said before, it’s your choice. To vaccinate or not!
That said, if you haven’t, please get the shot and stick around. We really hate to lose readers. And: we are sure we’re not the only ones who need you!
On the economic front – Many businesses are facing another shutdown because of rising COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths. Since news reports point out that over 90% of COVID hospitalizations and deaths are people who are not vaccinated, there is a growing resentment toward the unvaccinated among some business owners and their vaccinated customers.
The inside scoop is that when FOX News and the other fear/propaganda merchants of the World were told by advertisers, who fear another shutdown, “Change your message on vaccination, OR WE’LL PULL ALL OUR ADVERTISING!”, Rupert got the message. Can they be sued for promoting lies? Time will tell.
1-Vaccination for COVID-19 will become as common as others we take for other illnesses like Polio or the Flu. 2-It will become a requirement to attend some public schools. 3-Proof of vaccination has already become a requirement from some businesses for their employees and customers. 4-the unvaccinated will be shunned and isolated from the mainstream.
As we emerge from this pandemic, we are prompted to assess the cultural and economic changes we have all experienced and observed.
We listed several trends we see coming post-COVID:
Trends we explored last time:
Universal healthcare will come. Think Medicare for all.
Medical experts are warning that World-Wide-Herd Immunity is the only method of conquering COVID-19. That means I care about the health of others, not just my immediate family.
The USA may be the only developed country where healthcare is administered by for-profit companies. Denying healthcare claims – is profitable. Raising copays for services – is profitable. Changing rules – can be profitable and at the very least confusing.
The goal of every large for-profit company is to survive. Survival requires a profit. Profit requires selling your services above your cost. For large companies, profits allow you to buy politicians, more on that in the future. Bought laws keep the profits coming.
As a systems analyst, I suggest we consider other systems of delivering healthcare to our fellow citizens. Let’s consider other countries’ systems that deliver better healthcare for less cost. Greed has been in control for too long.
Prediction – Medicare will be enhanced, and the starting age will be lowered until it includes everyone.
Social Security for all (i.e., a basic minimum income for all) and Medicare for all will stimulate the economy.
- Small businesses won’t have to compete for employees with large companies who provide health insurance.
- Today, those with families are concerned about the healthcare insurance provided by their employers.
- When Judy and I started our family, we had the best healthcare available from my employer. We had four boys. Our largest expense was $2.30 for phone calls Judy placed while in the hospital. All the other expenses, covered.
- In addition, our last son was born with life-threating jaundice. After mom was in the hospital for a week, she came home. He remained for another week or two. Our insurance covered the entire hospital stay.
- Once we decided to become independent entrepreneurs, healthcare insurance became our responsibility.
Medicare for all is coming, resistance is futile!
- With a minimum basic income, no one will need to work for starvation wages.
- Parents can decide to stay home with their children during the formative years. Parents staying home may well reduce crime since the population of unsupervised children will go down.
- People will have financial support during the upcoming economic transitions: Transitions away from fossil fuels, electrifying the grid, and robotics replacing humans in product production.
- At some point in the near future, automation will significantly reduce the workforce required to make things.
- A minimum basic income for all US citizens will help those who are homeless. If you’re homeless, you have no address, you can only do day work or panhandle. If you have children and are homeless, what about school, and the other needs of children. A basic minimum income will lift millions out of poverty.
- If you are against abortion, how about providing the mother with a minimum basic income so she can take care of her child?
- I’ve enjoyed a minimum basic income from Social Security since I was 65 years old. It’s allowed me the freedom to pursue the career of my choice.
A minimum basic income is coming, resistance is futile!
Working from Home will increase. Fewer people will travel back and forth to an office. Vaccination may become an issue in employment and travel. Entrepreneurship will increase. More people will have the opportunity to become self-employed. A basic minimum income for all will be enacted. Think Social Security for all. Universal healthcare will come. Think Medicare for all. Social Security (basic minimum income) and Medicare for all will stimulate the economy.
Small businesses won’t have to compete with large companies who provide health insurance. And no one will need to work for starvation wages.
- Linux and Unix operating systems (Android and Chrome) will come to dominate home computers. Windows and I/OS will become niche operating systems.
- Having some web-presence will become a business necessity.
- Some businesses in the Graphic Products industry will become fulfillment centers. They receive orders from the web, produce product in-house, and ship it to the customer. No contact.
- As we have mentioned before, transportation is going electric. Tesla is introducing the Model 2 sometime next year. Its rumored price is $25k. Every major car maker is planning electric vehicles. Who needs gas, oil changes, tune-ups, etc., etc.?
- Electric generation will become local. You’ll see it in your home, your subdivision, your city, your building, etc. Solar panels and batteries eliminate the need for high-powered transmission lines and transformers, which have contributed to fires in the West. The landscape will be much nicer once all those ugly power lines are removed for scrap metal.
We will cover these trends, and how they will impact our industry in future articles. Next time: Linux and Unix Operating systems.
In the past, we at CorelDRAW Help were focused on creating scripts (step-by-step instructions) you can follow to produce products to sell, primarily using CorelDRAW.
Currently, software, equipment, and blank-product manufacturers have assumed the task of training for finished product production.
Going forward, we will focus our energies on how you can start and grow a business. We’ve had some experience starting and building small businesses. Our experience may be of some assistance in your efforts.
Creating – Your Future Life, Income Stream, and a Business
First, it’s important to understand some of the rules of Creation. We’ll cover each of these in more depth. This time – #2 – the past is history, the future is a dream, now is what matters.
Each of us creates our future moment by moment. The past is history, the future is a dream, now is what matters.
- Life is all about experience.
- Life is terminal, you’ll never get out of it alive.
- There are two major forces in the Universe, Love and Fear (False Evidence Appearing Real)
- Karma doesn’t care. What goes around, comes around. You can count on that!
- My right to swing my arm, ends where another’s body begins.
- Like everything else in the Universe, Humans are drawn toward Love.
- After 78 years on this planet, I know that all the things I’ve experienced in this lifetime have been for my good, even if I didn’t see it at the time. I know that in this Universe, all things work together for the good of ALL.
The Past is History, the Future is a dream, NOW is what matters. – This Time
Each of us creates our future moment by moment.
It’s up to me to realize I’m in control. The company I work for does not control my future unless I choose to allow them to. I am never a VICTIM of life! I am a participant in life!
Once you realize you are in control of your future, you can begin directing it.
The Past is History – The Future is a Dream – Now is what’s important…
- I cannot change the past. What’s done is gone.
If I constantly focus on and relive the past, I’m blocked from moving forward. I must let it go!
- The future is a dream. Where do I want to be in 5 years? I’m not there yet.
- Now is what’s important. What do I do today to be where I want to be in the future?
– Next Time
Life is all about experience.
What is your interest in the Graphic-Products Industry?
In today’s world, most graphic products begin life as computer art. Some artists create and sell computer art for use on the web. Some create and sell physical products using their artwork, think t-shirts, mugs, awards, etc. Others create graphic products as a hobby or to help organizations to which they may belong.
Answering a couple of questions might help you evaluate your interest.
- Do I have any interest in creating digital art?
- Does my interest in digital art include producing hard copies?
- Is my interest in creating personalized products for Fun or for Profit?
- What do I do, or does my business do? Are you an Artist or Commercial Artist?
- If I’m a commercial artist, who are my competitors?
Thank you for your attention. Keep in mind that we don’t know what we don’t know. So, don’t take our word for it. Meditate and find what is right for you.
As we’ve said before, working from home may become the norm. Commuting to an office, not so much or so often. (great for reducing air pollution, not so great for oil producers and gas stations.)
The economic transformations COVID-19 has initiated will last long after the dis-ease is brought into balance (i.e., suppressed). These changes will favor small businesses that work from home.
Thank you, see you next time.
Coming Soon – Towing with a Tesla Model 3.