WOW – I feel as if the Universe has sent me to my room for my protection and to give me time to consider the future I would like to see. It has also given me time to realize how blessed I am.
Introduction: The View from the Bridge
The View from the Bridge is an opinion piece that explores how societal changes can/will impact the future, especially as these changes apply to the Personalized-Products industry and small businesses in general.
Think of the View from the Bridge as analysis for the captain of a battleship during conflict. YOU are the captain of your ship (life). We offer our analysis for your consideration.
As time progresses, there is a constant flow of new information coming in for evaluation. Our analysis is presented to help guide the captain’s (your) actions. Knowledge is power.
We will attempt to be brief and to the point. That said, we don’t know what we don’t know. So, don’t take our conclusions as the only possible future. As the great sage Yoda once said – “Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future…”
May 2020 The Evolving New Normal
May 1. 2020, our move was finally completed. My new wife GEM (Glenda E McDaniel) and I started voluntary self-isolation. For us self-isolation means limiting contact with people as much as possible.
We still go grocery shopping, pickup prescriptions, and shop for other things. That said, we wear face coverings and gloves whenever we go into a store. We do that to protect us from others and to protect others from us.
During May we’ve all heard the distractions:
- Some say – The virus is a man-made bio-weapon.
- Others – The virus is Karma for mankind’s treatment of other sentient beings, i.e. animals that some of us considered food. (We are like little children; everything goes into the mouth.) Supporters of this theory point to the virus shutting down meat processing plants as proof of their theory.
- Some say – The USA is suffering and will continue to suffer the most from this virus. Why? Karma for the death and destruction the USA exports throughout the World via a military-industrial complex that “We the People” allow to exist, i.e. Bombing children in Yemen, etc.
- Some say – The virus and lockdown are the Universe asking “What do you value? Wallstreet or Mainstreet?”
- Others say – It’s China’s fault – Careful with this one. Are we being guided to seek revenge – to fuel a new arms race? If we constantly prepare for violence, focus on violence, place our energies and creative forces on preparing for violence – the Universe will accommodate us, and bring us violence.
If you “Plant the seeds of War”; why are you surprised when you “Harvest War”?
All these distractions are meaningless now! “Where did it come from?”, “Who dropped the ball on informing the World?”, “Who kept assuring the public there was nothing to be concerned about?”, all meaningless now! These are things to consider and correct after we have dealt with the emergency at hand.
Philosophers teach us that – The past is memory – The future, dreams – What is important is the NOW.
Now – As of May 31, 2020, we have a confirmed total of over 103,000 Americans who have lost their lives to COVID-19. We have an unemployment rate that now equals, and is set to surpass, that of the Great Depression of 1929-1933. We have families that do not have enough food, who can’t pay the rent or mortgage. There are 40 million+ who have lost their employment-based healthcare during this global pandemic. We have rioting in the streets. And at the same time, many billionaires have added hundreds of billions of dollars to their wealth. And healthcare companies are recording record profits.
What do you think? Is this system sustainable?
Some have said Universal health care (if you are not well, I’m not well) and Universal Basic Income (UBI) are two programs that would help people and the economy. Requiring corporations to be democratic and include workers in decision making is another.
What do you think?
In Short: Business Changes
Thank you for your attention. Keep in mind that we don’t know what we don’t know. So don’t take our word for it. Meditate and find what is right for you.
As we’ve said before, working from home may become the norm. Commuting to an office, not so much or so often. (great for reducing air pollution, not so great for oil producers and gas stations.)
The economic transformations COVID-19 has initiated will last long after the dis-ease is brought into balance (i.e. , suppressed). We consider ourselves blessed to be here to witness and help in this transformation.
These changes will favor small businesses that work from home.
Next time we’ll look at some changes companies in our industry are making during this pandemic.
We will also consider the changes that electrifying transportation and autonomous vehicles will bring to the industry.
- Be at Peace
- NO amount of worry ever changed anything in my life.
- I can only control my actions!
- Calmly follow healthcare advice whenever possible.
- Don’t worry if it’s not possible. (refer to rule 1a)
- Don’t take unnecessary risks. (Please, no more partying at the beach.)
- Don’t panic – according to some healthcare professionals 80% to 90% of all USA residents will contract the disease.
- We are all in this together.
- Support workers in any way you can.
- Let elected officials know we want a NONE OF THE ABOVE option on the ballot for all public offices. I believe NONE OF THE ABOVE would have won the 2016 election.
- I have also chosen to tell my representatives, people first or find another job.
More recommendations – Next time.